Thursday, August 14, 2014

Blind Sculpture Project Pt.II

Following my time in Chicago, I returned to Ames to continue working on the music for The Blind Sculpture Project. I've been using Logic Pro to manipulate and edit the sound clips. The microphone on my laptop works incredibly well, and (as of right now) the extent of the internship was to create the recurring theme within the play which my current hardware handles well enough. Oddly enough, some of the preliminary recordings include the sound of traffic from cars outside which only seemed to enhance the ambiance of the track.

Logic Pro has a number of different "guitar pedals" which adds distortion to any sound that travels through the computer's microphone. Each track follows sculpture-inspired poetry, and each track needed to reflect that feeling. Using a metal sheet, I was able to distort sounds to create an echoing clang behind a distorted violin melody. The ukulele becomes a powerful source of sound with added reverb, along with heavy distortion, and it becomes the central instrument to provide orchestration for several sections.

The internship was relatively short compared to the ongoing project. I will continue to work on the play as a whole and, over time, adjust the music as needed. 

No comments: